Thursday, November 27, 2014

Expressing the Heart

The greatest constructive emotion is love, but, it is often hidden in the human spirit. One of the characteristics of genuine love is expressing appreciation. It takes so little to say it out loud, but brings so much joy to the giver and receiver.

Love can be demonstrated in a variety of practical ways - rising above mere sentimental emotion - enabling you to create a way of life that can bless everyone you meet. Cards, gifts, a call, a text, a hug, even just a smile... can say so much to someone of value in your life.

I have always LOVED to give cards and gifts - you might even say I am slightly addicted to it.  Not as a means of winning affection - as I have never felt an obligation or expectation in that regard. I simply LOVE to give people I like (or love) pretty or heartwarming things. It just delights me and I have never regretted giving a gift.

Saying "I love you" or verbally expressing appreciation however, has been more of a challenge for me. It has seemed awkward, uncomfortable, unnatural - even left me feeling a little vulnerable at times, but, that is where I do have some regrets. I can think of at least two people in my life whom I  loved deeply - but, I never, ever told them so.

Once someone is out of your life - for whatever reason - it's difficult to go back and say, "You know, I really cared about you..."or "You are really special." Words of appreciation left unsaid are some of life's most costly mistakes.

On this Thanksgiving - if you have the opportunity, declare your love for someone. Let them know how much you care - or how much you appreciate their presence in your life.

I promise you - you won't regret it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Janene

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Heartfelt Christmas Story - A Family for Freddie

M erry Christmas to all my Home and Heart friends, followers and family. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas 2020, in spite of the challeng...