Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Grandma's Kitchen

With one door in and one door out,
Grandma’s kitchen was small and square.
Not much room to move about,
But plenty for the love she’d share!
 
Refrigerator, stove, and sink,
White cabinet filled with dishes,
Small table and four chairs, I think,
And plenty of childhood wishes!

Summer days, the kitchen was hot
And flies buzzed outside the screens.
But Grandma still was cooking lots
And lots of yummy, scrumptious things.

Oh, my! Hot biscuits and ‘lasses,
Spread with butter fresh from the churn!
Grownups enjoyed big cold glasses
Of buttermilk we kids would spurn!

In winter the wind shrieked outside,
While we gobbled beans and cornbread,
Followed up by fried apple pies.
Grandma made sure we were well fed!

She must have gotten tired of us
 Running all around her kitchen,
And sometimes she did scold and fuss---
But mostly she’d just laugh and grin!

Grandma’s kitchen is quiet now,
And the stove and table are bare…
But in my heart I know somehow
My grandma’s spirit is still there!

By Judy King

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Heartfelt Christmas Story - A Family for Freddie

M erry Christmas to all my Home and Heart friends, followers and family. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas 2020, in spite of the challeng...