Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Mother's Prayer

I received this wall plaque as a baby shower gift - twenty plus years ago:
 
"Give me patience for little ones,
A gentle heart and words so kind,
So when each child is grown and thinks of home,
A loving place will come to mind."
Paula's Mini Impressions, CM Paula Company, Cincinnati, OH
 
This prayer had an enormous impact on my mothering, and is partly responsible for the relationship I have with my children, today.
When your children leave home, you will reflect upon the years you had together - the years you can never get back.  I know mothers who are tormented by lost opportunity - knowing they created an environment where their children felt frightened and unloved - and that there is nothing they can do to undo those days, but, I have never heard a mother weep with regret for being kind to her children.
 
Kindness is not weakness. Love your little ones.
 
~ Home and Heart ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Heartfelt Christmas Story - A Family for Freddie

M erry Christmas to all my Home and Heart friends, followers and family. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas 2020, in spite of the challeng...